Claire Sandbrook
  • Q. How Can I Transfer My Judgment From The County Court To The High Court So I Can Use A High Court Enforcement Officer?

Ans. Good question and the answer is we can take care of the whole process for you. Just register with us so we have all your contact information and then complete our easy to use online form. At the end of the form you will be asked to either pay either online or by cheque our fee of £60.00 to cover the cost of the transfer or the court fee.

We will prepare the certificate that the county court needs to release the judgment to the high court enforcement officer. Once this comes back (a process over which we have little control but which we manage for you) we will check the documentation and then prepare the high court paperwork. We will then arrange for the high court writ of control to be issued in the high court in either London or a district registry. Once the writ of control is issued we will forward this to the local enforcement agent to attend and enforce your judgment.

  • Q. How can I pay the fee for transfer up?

Ans. You can pay the fee by online payment, cheque, or debit card. Cheques should be made payable to “shergroup”. For bulk issuers we offer client account facilities so that we payments can be dealt with more easily.

  • Q. Is the fee paid on instructing shergroup refundable?

Ans. We will use your £60.00 to cover the transfer up process and the fee once paid is non-refundable. We will ask litigants in person to also put us in funds for the £75.00 plus vat compliance fee which is payable to the high court enforcement officer if the enforcement is not successful. Unfortunately we have found from experience that we try to collect this later on it is not paid and we have therefore withdrawn our credit facility for people who are acting on their own.

  • Q. What happens after you have transferred the judgment to the high court?

Ans. We will issue a notice of enforcement to the judgment debtor which is a requirement under the taking control of goods regulations 2013. This gives the debtor 7 days in which to make payment before our enforcement agent attends at the address. If you are paid in this period in full there will be no further action required.

After the 7 days allowed has elapsed the enforcement agent will attend to begin the enforcement stage 1 process which involves taking legal control of the debtor's goods. Debtors who want to pay you will often wait until this stage before doing so but we will manage this for you and report back to you on our website as we take each step in the process.

  • Q. What happens if the debtor doesn’t have any goods?

Ans. Another good question! If we find that the debtor has no goods or has no means of paying you the amount owed under the judgment then we will report back to you with photographs and our recommendation on the next course of enforcement action you could take. We may encourage you to speak to our creditors services team about possible insolvency proceedings which are fully funded. We will charge the compliance fee of £75.00 for the work done to get you this far in the enforcement process. One way or another our aim is to give you a solution beyond the writ if you need to move to another enforcement option.

  • Q. How long does a writ of control last for?

Ans. A writ of control lasts for 12 months from the date it is issued in the high court. In that time an enforcement agent has to take control of the debtor’s goods. It is possible to apply for the writ to be issued for a further 12 months before the 12 months expires. This is important if you are receiving regular payments from a debtor. A further court fee is payable to make the application to extend the writ and we can take care of this for you when the time comes. Please contact our customer solutions team for more information.

  • Q. Got more questions?

Ans. Of course you have! Enforcement is not an easy subject. That’s why our customer solutions advisors are on hand to help you every step of the way. And you can chat to us as well about your next question. Just use the chat function to ask us a question at any time. To speak to one of our team please call between 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday. We look forward to answering your next enforcement question on

+ 44(0) 845 890 9200