My debtor lives in Europe - what can I do?
You may have a judgment from the courts in England and Wales you want to enforce outside of the UK. Shergroup Legal can help you manage the enforcement process using our network of expert agents in every member state of the EU.

Our services include:
  • Transferring your judgment out of the UK to another member state for enforcement
  • Taking care of the arrangements for documentation and liaising with local enforcement providers
The European Enforcement Order (EEO) was designed to provide a simpler method for enforcing your uncontested judgment in another country within the EU. This is probably best explained by looking at a particular scenario. Let’s say you ordered and paid for a washing machine from a company based in France, but the washing machine never arrives. You can take your case to your local county court in England or Wales and obtain a default judgment against the company in France. If you then want to enforce that judgment, you will need to apply to the local county court for the judgment to be certified as outstanding and suitable for an EEO to be issued. Once the necessary certificate is issued you will be able to enforce the English or Welsh judgment using the French courts and French enforcement procedures.

At this point we have to say that although that’s the idea it still isn’t always easy to enforce a judgment in another part of Europe. There are 27 countries in the EU and each country has a slightly different approach to the way it handles EEOs.

Again Shergroup Legal can help you navigate these various systems so that you don’t have the hassle of dealing with foreign courts and foreign enforcement officers.

To discuss your options in more detail please fill in our Foreign Judgment Transfer Form which is the only form you will have to complete and let us do the rest for you.

And as always if you want to speak to one of our knowledgeable team about your options please call us for a free consultation on

+44(0) 845 890 9200