When Can I Use a High Court Enforcement Officer
You can use the services of a High Court Enforcement Officer when you have:
  • A judgment over £600 in value
  • And that judgment is not one created by a regulated agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended)
High Court Enforcement Officers are authorised by the Lord Chancellor to execute High Court writs. They can seize and sell goods to cover the amount of a debt owed. They can also enforce and supervise the possession of property and the return of goods. They replaced Sheriff's Officers in April 2004. Legislation relating the High Court Enforcement Officers includes the Sheriffs Act 1887 and the Courts Act 2003.

Unlike a County Court Bailiff, who is a civil servant, an HCEO is a private individual. In order to appoint and HCEO, a judgment has to be obtained from the County Court, and be presented to the High Court in the form of a High Court Writ.

Shergroup Legal’s Director, Claire Sandbrook, is herself an authorised High Court Enforcement Officer who is able to accept Writs for enforcement through a separate company, Shergroup Limited.

Where it is in the best interests of a Shergroup Legal client, our legal team will recommend and manage the transfer of a county court judgment or order to the High Court using Claire as the designated officer.

For more information about how you can utilize this service even if you have already obtained a county court judgment please contact Shergroup Legal on

+44 (0)845 890 9200

and one of our friendly legal team will be able to help you decide if this is the right course of action for you.